Wisdom tooth update

Let me just start by saying that I went in for my wisdom tooth extraction follow up this morning and everything looks great. No dry sockets, the oral surgeon said they are healing perfectly, and I just need to work on stretching my jaw then I’ll be totally back to normal.

Here is the story of what the last week has been like. Tim has been great. He has taken such good care of me and never acted like I was a burden. I’m really lucky.

They were going to take out all four, but they decided that removing my upper right tooth would damage the nerves and it probably wouldn’t even come in anyway. Everything went pretty normal during the surgery. Toward the end, I woke up from the anesthesia, but they weren’t quite finished with my stitches and everything. I was really scared because I thought it might be the beginning of the surgery and that I would have to go through the entire thing watching them. Fortunately, I didn’t. So when they brought Tim in, I was really emotional (apparently the medicine either makes you emotional or giddy anyway) and I just started bawling. Tim had debated whether or not to video tape me since he was so funny, but when he saw I was upset he decided not to.

Tim got me into the car, but we had to stop at Walgreen’s on the way home to get my pain medicine, antibiotics, and steroids (because of the swelling and my tiny mouth, they were worried there would be some nerve damage). I was still really upset, so I didn’t want to stay alone in the car. I followed Tim into the store, and the pharmacist was immediately like “There’s a bathroom over there for her,” because I was still bleeding a lot. Well, we had left my gauze in the car so we went outside to change it. In the middle of changing my gauze, a stranger walked up to me and was like “Are you okay?” I think he thought I had been hit in the face or something. I wasn’t supposed to talk, so Tim just told him I had had my wisdom teeth taken out.

Anyway, when we got home … I was in a lot of pain, but I did not react well to the vicodin. It was just too much. So I started taking half pills. It was a pretty painful week, but I was still able to teach and go to my classes and work. I’m glad it’s over and I don’t have to worry about it anymore. I sent in our dental information to PC, so hopefully everything comes back well.

I wasn’t supposed to talk so that we could stop the bleeding, so I ended up writing Tim a lot of notes. Mostly jokes or things I needed.

The swelling got the worst on Saturday, but this is definitely when it peaked.

You can see the swelling going down on Sunday.

I didn’t feel completely normal until today. You can still see a little bit of my black eye.


Author: Bre

I am in motion and in transition right now. I married Tim Knoll less than a year ago, and we recently applied to The Peace Corps. I work as a freelance journalist.

2 thoughts on “Wisdom tooth update”

  1. Black eye? You didn’t mention ( and I can’t imagine) how you got a black eye from your mouth.) Wow. You sure Tim didn’t punch you just once? ha. Glad it’s over and all better!

  2. They said they had to put my jaw in some weird positions because my small mouth was hard to work with. But I definitely had a bruise under my eye last week. I’m glad it’s over too.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s