6/19/2010 – Moldova: Day 10

Notice: If you are interested in Skyping with us and you are willing to get up early, we will try to be on Skype every weekday from 1:00-2:00 here. That’s 6:00-7:00 a.m. EST. I know that’s early, and we’re trying to figure something else out. We don’t have internet at our house, and it is a far walk to the school where we can get internet. So that’s the best we can do for now.

This has been a pretty long week. I don’t know if you’re dying to hear about our daily routine, but I’ll write it out here for posterity if nothing else. We get up around 7:00 … okay … our alarm is set for 7:00, but that’s not when we get up. We go out to the summer dining room (it’s open air, and there is a second kitchen there too. It’s almost like we have two houses because there is the open summer kitchen and dining room, and there’s a summer shower, outhouse, and sink outside). Mamă gazdă (Romanian for host mother) makes us porridge and we eat bread with butter, cheese, and salami. Then around 8:10 we start to walk to school. There is a volunteer that lives near us, so we usually stand outside her gate and say her name until she comes out. Then we all walk to school together. We live on a dirt road, and we walk up two dirt roads and down the paved road. So we really walk uphill both ways. I always wondered how that worked, and if we were here in the winter we would walk uphill both ways in the snow. But we definitely have shoes. Anyway, we walk along the road past dogs, horse drawn carriages, houses, random people and animals, and a lot of horse poop. We have class with a few breaks throughout the morning, and in the afternoon we have technical classes. This works out to be about a normal 8-5 with a lunch break and times where we can hang out with other volunteers for about ten minutes. Then we go home, do homework, eat dinner, help with dishes and stuff (we finally got our family to let us help), play cards or talk, and then we go to bed. That’s pretty normal, and the only full day off we have is Sunday. We had a half day today (Saturday) where we had language class.

Tonight we are going to the discotheque with the other volunteers. One volunteer is having a birthday, so we figure it’s okay to go with a group. I think we will have a lot of fun. My Grammy gave me some shiny leggings before I left. I think they were for keeping warm, but I think their true purpose is for the discotheque.

I think we are doing well. We love our host family, and they say we are their little English children. We talk as much as we can with them, and I think the language is really starting to click. We’ve only been learning a week, but I can say a lot of phrases in Romanian and I can describe my family. We are starting to conjugate verbs. So, for a week, I think we are doing well. I think we are adjusting pretty well too. We like the culture, the food, and the people. I just think it’s going pretty well all around. I’m going to go get ready for the discotheque.

P.S. We just got home from the discotheque, and Euromusic is awesome. Think techno on steroids with some oldies remixed in randomly. There was a techno remix of “Hit the road, Jack.” Dancing with strangers in a foreign country is just as awkward as it sounds. My ears are still ringing, but the stars were beautiful on the walk home.


Author: Bre

I am in motion and in transition right now. I married Tim Knoll less than a year ago, and we recently applied to The Peace Corps. I work as a freelance journalist.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s